Saturday, July 2, 2011

SNEAK PEEK AT THE NEW JOHN FRICKE BOOK


As most Judy Garland fans already know, multi-award winning author and producer John Fricke has a new book coming out. JUDY A LEGENDARY FILM CAREER will be published by Running Press (a division of Perseus Books Group) and is scheduled for release in September of 2011. Here is a little sneak peek at some of the rare photos and delicious quotes that can be found in this gem of a book

The photo at the top of the page is a location shot from Judy's final film, I Could Go On Singing. Seen in this photograph, taken at the Stokes Poges in Buckinghampshire, England, are Judy, young co-star Gregory Phillips, and director Ronald Neame.

One has to wonder what Phillips is thinking as he stares intently at Judy while she discusses the script with Neame.

"When Mr Neame took me into Miss Garland's dressing room...(she) gave me a big hug and said 'Hello, darling!" It was marvelous, and so quickly I forgot to be frightened. 'Come and sit down by me' she said, and the next thing I knew, we were discussing the part, and I felt as if I'd known her all my life. All through the film (she and Dirk Bogarde) were both wonderful to me. They are so completely natural, and with no 'side' at all. It was the most friendly job I ever had. We used to rehearse all our scenes together and discuss every detail. (And) she would always come down to the studio to read my lines off for me. When you have to do a scene in which you're alone-but talking to someone off-camera-most stars let someone else read the lines off. But Judy used to say, "How can he be expected to act as if he's trying to talk to his mother, and she isn't there?' This often meant her coming to the studio when she might have had a day off, but she never minded. I thought she was tops (before), but now that I've worked with her, I know she's the greatest star of them all."
-Gregory Phillips

Another shot of Judy with Gregory Phillips and Ronald Neame, this time they are joined by co-producer Stuart Miller at press conference designed to publicize the film's release.

"The thing I remember most about Judy was that she was a great story teller. I loved her; I adored her. When we finished the picture, we had become sort of friends. (At one point) the director of the movie wanted to reshoot a scene. Judy asked why. He told her 'Well, let's just say there's a little man inside me that tells me to.' Judy said 'Well, I'll just have to crawl inside of you and kill that f&@#ing little man!"
-Jack Klugman, Judy's co-star in ICGOS

Wardrobe test for Listen Darling.

Judy does a little multi-tasking on the set of Babes On Broadway.

Hairstyle test for Babes On Broadway.


Book looks good, huh? We'll bring you more previews later in the summer. In the meantime don't forget to put it on your list of things to buy (I hear it's already available for pre-order on Amazon.com).

2 comments:

Gary Horrocks said...

These glimpses are such a tease; can't wait to see the book. I have a great photograph of Ronald Neame dancing with Judy on the stage at the Palladium; I'll send it to you for posting Daniel when I have hunted it down.

Anonymous said...

SO looking forward to this! John Fricke is okay in my book (ouch, what a pun!)

Sunnyvale

Followers

http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/thejudygarlandexperience/

The Judy Garland Experience

Web Site Counter
Free Counter

Blog Archive