Thursday, December 9, 2010

LIZA MINNELLI. SAN FRANCISCO. 2010



Dino Constantinou, who is a member of the Yahoo version of The Judy Garland Experience recently traveled from his hometown of Johannesburg to San Francisco to see see Liza Minnelli in concert at Symphony Hall on December 5, 2010.
Here are his notes on the experience, as well as his review of the concert:

"For my dear Liza posse that couldn't make last night, here's a review of sorts from my perspective (forgive the digressions).

It's 6.42 am on a cool San Francisco morning. Just woke up (jet lag still affecting me), got some of that amazing fresh coffee my hotel makes for us every morning and serves on the 6th floor but which I can smell when I walk out my room 309. I love this hotel. It's one of the best I ever stayed at - Hotel Diva at Union Square.

So yesterday it was raining. I mean raining! So I get to the Davies Symphony Hall (DSH) round 2 pm. The area is very beautiful. The Ballet centre, the opera house, the city hall - all amazing buildings architecturally - surrounded by parks - makes for a very aesthetic cultural part of SF. Why get there so early? Well, I didn't have much else to do and I thought I might like to catch Liza and gang arriving and maybe even say a quick hello. Well, as I got to the DSH there was obviously some kind of family Christmas matinee show on, starting at 3, and masses of people with kids were scrambling to make it in the rain. I had no choice but wait in the entrance as it was pouring and my ironed hair was starting to go plop (which was fine with me because I think when I left the hotel I actually looked like Liza, so the rain toned it down ;)).

Eventually the rain slowed down somewhat and I walked round to the "musician's entrance". But I saw there was another entrance nearby where one could actually drive in (a lot like the artists' entrance at the Sydney Opera House), and with the matinee going on and the rain, I thought Liza won't be coming in before 5ish. I mean she won't get the hall earlier than that, and they would still have to set up before doing a sound check. So I decided WTH, I needed a drink. Alas nothing around with a view of the entrance so walked a couple of blocks and found a brasserie called Absinthe, with a crowded bar and a line of people waiting for tables for lunch (at 3 pm) - and very cosy. So with the rain bucketing down - beautifully I might add - I went in.

Found a spot at the bar and started with a Belgian beer (Chimay) - one of my favourites. Moved on to champagne and ordered a burger 'cause I was getting hungry. By 5 pm I decided there was no way it was worth it to hang around for Liza 'cause with the rain she would be whisked into the building. I left the restaurant and walked around the hall a bit. It got dark. Lit a cigarette and turned a corner, and there he was! At an obscure entrance I saw Billy smoking a cigarette. I was so happy. I mean with all the concerts I've done, I feel like part of the family in a way. So I went up to him and said hi. He gave me his beautiful smile. We chatted about the rain, the Tucson concert, how it was a sell out as was the one now. Spoke about Liza a bit and then I said bye. And he said c ya later! Just that was enough to make me float.

Arrive at the DSH round 6 - an hour from when doors open. Already a huge buzz was building. Waiting for the doors to open reminded me a bit of waiting outside Macy's or Bloomingdale's on the first day of sales just before opening.

Doors open. Went up and explored the DSH, beautifully decorated with rows of huge Christmas trees - real ones! Up a sweeping red carpeted staircase to the terrace and the view of the decorated trees with the city hall dome outside seen through the window was breathtaking.

The audience was a typical one. 20% camp queens, and the rest ancient people that I often think, are there looking for Judy. I am exaggerating a little.

Bought the "Liza's at the Palace" DVD and the new "Confessions" album and then made my way to my seat.

SHOCK!!!

I was expecting to sit in row H in the Orchestra. No! Row H, front row of the balcony - they call the Premier Terrace. Far away from the stage. What could I do?! Damn shopping on the internet; I must have messed up the order. But so what! I had a great view and anyway, it was nice to be away from the commotion and mayhem that always breaks out in the Orchestra section - for a change. Was a great spot to film it - pity I didn't foresee this.

And then!

The houselights dimmed. And the spot light shone... As she stepped up to the microphone - the usual standing ovation and cheering, etc. But I have to say she looked amazing. As svelte as ever, radiant and just fabulous.

She came out in the black sequined top she's been wearing for the last 2 years now? The one she wore the night she won the Tony last year, with a black pant and a looong red scarf. (It was punted as a special holiday concert BTW).

So she started to sing.

She opened with "Alexander's Ragtime Band". The Carnegie hall version. Voice, very shaky, not up to it. But the audience loved it and the Orchestra section gave her the usual standing ovation at the end.

Then we went into "Teach me Tonight". Much better for her voice, but the last refrain when the belting happens - unfortunately not that great. But as you know, even at her worst (which this was by far not her worst) she's awesome!!
Then we went into "Our Love is Here to Stay". Beautifully done, except that ending, no voice.

Of course the "I love Yous" and "You Look Beautiful Liza", yadda yadda yadda, were being thrown liberally and she accepted them all graciously as always.

Then she gave a long intro about how she got the part of Roxie when Gwen Verdon needed an op. She was hysterically funny. And she did "My Own Best Friend". Voice failed again at the end. But still a very powerful, perfectly timed and poignant performance.

Then "So What" with the usual intro. I loved it. It resonated particularly well with me last night, what with the seat I got and a few other tiny disappointments of the past few days.

This was followed by "Cabaret" and I realised there would be no intermission. So what ;).

After this she said Billy, now you sing! Someone yelled "you sound great Liza". And she says, "wait till you hear this". And boy was she right. Billy sang - I think it's called "What a Night". OMG! He was amazing. Smooth, and his interpretation of this jazz standard was just sexy, suave and sensational! Liza was sitting at the end of the piano, and she was relishing it as much as we, probably more as she understood better the interpretation Billy was bringing to the song.

And then Liza sang "Maybe This Time". Fantastic!

Then she pulled the chair and did "He's Funny That Way". Awesome!

We moved onto the songs from the new album, and this is where, for me Liza truly came into her own for this show. She was amazing. Every note perfect, the interpretations her own unique flair, just fabulous! She sang about 5 if I remember correctly: "Confession" (the audience appeared not to have heard her version as they found it hysterical, which was great to see). Then "You Fascinate Me So". Then she said when she first worked with Billy this is the song she thought of, the number her mom sang (although she didn't say this): "I Hadn't Anyone Till You". It was so beautifully done. I had goosebumps!!. "He's a Tramp" and then one more great number, but don't know the title. (When I listen to it on the CD I'll amend this part.)

At this point she acknowledged her band. A fantastic group of 6 guys in white jackets and black sequined ties: Billy at the piano (also her conductor), Rick Cutler (drums), Chip Jackson (bass), Ross Konikoff, Dave Trigg and Chuck Wilson (all brass). While she was doing this she choked up and started crying, saying they've been working with her, her whole life. Not sure why she broke down like that but it was very moving.

Then she said of all the numbers that Kander and Ebb wrote for her, this one just gets better as she gets older - it adjusts - and she understands it more: "But the World Goes Round". Again, she was fantastic here.

Then she told a story I don't think she has before. That "uncle Frank" called her way back in 77/78 saying he was playing New York and he needed a song and could he sing and record New York, New York. And she said, YES! Please do! She said she was thrilled with this because the song was being ignored, didn't get recognised by the Academy, etc.

Of course then she sang NY NY. Pandemonium in the audience.

Then bows, flowers.

Encore: "I just saw something really cute" and they pulled this little girl from the front row - dressed as Sally Bowles with bright green feather in her head band! The cutest thing ever! Then Liza showed her - very formally - how to bow to the audience and then the band. So cool! Billy helped put the girl on Liza's lap (I'm panicking here hoping she can handle this 'cause it wasn't a toddler here, but a girl). She also said this was (sic) the happiest Christmas ever for her and she sang a magical, tear jerking "Have Yourselves A Merry Little Christmas".

Bows, the Sally Bowles platform wave, exit stage.

Wait at stage door thinking how awesome: not a lot of people and a short walk across the sidewalk to the bus right in front of me. But Billy came out eventually and said there she goes guys, and she was whisked out from the other entrance - which I was glad for because there were too many stairs involved here. And Billy showed he was truly sorry for our disappointment.

All in all, it was again the magical experience that I will never forget, and I will always be grateful to have Liza, Billy and her gang in my life. I pray that I get to see them a few more times!

1 comment:

DinoC said...

Gosh! Reading this over 8 years later makes me emotional. I miss her concerts so!

Sunnyvale

Followers

http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/thejudygarlandexperience/

The Judy Garland Experience

Web Site Counter
Free Counter

Blog Archive