Thursday, March 31, 2011
Per David Price, "
March 31, 1960 ... attending a screening of THE FUGITIVE KIND with Sid in Los Angeles. And from the look of things, beginning to bounce back from the serious illness that had sidelined her during the latter part of 1959."
Wednesday, March 30, 2011
Per David Price,
"March 30, 1951 ... photographed as she boarded the Ile De France ocean liner in New York City, bound for Southampton and London. A happy, healthy and contented-looking Judy was about to begin the concert career that became the next chapter of her performing life. After her triumph at London's Palladium a scant ten days later, she held the world in the palm of her hand."
Tuesday, March 29, 2011
Per David Price, "March 29, 1944 ... out on the town with pal Peter Lawford, snapped in this newsphoto at the Mocambo [a Latin-themed night spot on the Sunset Strip in West Hollywood]."
Monday, March 28, 2011
Per David Price,
"March 28, 1941 ... in New York with Mrs. Eleanor Roosevelt ... inspecting a model of an air raid shelter at the Greek War Relief headquarters."
Sunday, March 27, 2011
Per David Price,
"March 27, 1955 .... on the cover of Parade Magazine [a national newspaper Sunday supplement] with OSCAR rival Grace Kelly. The photo used is a John Engstead portrait, one of many he made for ASIB publicity."
Saturday, March 26, 2011
Per David Price, "March 26, 1956 ... in the recording studio at Capitol in Hollywood ... working on her new album, JUDY, a successful collaboration with Nelson Riddle, who arranged and conducted for her.
Please forgive the grainy scan ... can we just call it "art-y"?"
Friday, March 25, 2011
Per David Price, "March 25, 1969 .... in concert at the Falkoner Centret in Copenhagen, Denmark ... performing what would end up being the final concert of her career. Her performance was warmly received by both the audience and the local critics."
On this day in herstory Judy Garland would give what would turn out to be her last planned public performance.
The concert was held in Copenhagen at the Falkoner Centret.
Despite being in failing health, and with lagging energy, Judy gave a solid and satisfying performance. With a voice that showed richness, coloring, and control.
Most of the reviews were raves!
The entire concert can currently be heard at the Yahoo version of The Judy Garland Experience.
Thursday, March 24, 2011
Per David Price, "March 24, 1953 ... attending a reception honoring producer Arthur Freed, who had just received France's Legion of Honor Award. The reception occured at Freed's Bel-Air home following a formal presentation. Pictured with Judy are [L-R] Freed, Cyd Charisse, and Raoul Bertrand [French Consul General]."
Wednesday, March 23, 2011
Per David Price, "March 23, 1937 ... signing autographs at the preview for CAPTAINS COURAGEOUS in Los Angeles, with an assist from pal Jackie Cooper. Judy's star was on the ascendant ... she had dazzled all of MGM with her "Dear Mr Gable" at his February birthday party, she was a success on CBS radio as a regular guest on Jack Oakie's College and had just gone into production on BROADWAY MELODY OF 1938, her first feature at MGM."
Tuesday, March 22, 2011
Here is what has to be one of the all time rarest Garland long playing discs.
It is not found in any of the Garland discographies (although I suspect this image, or a doctored version of it, will soon make it's way into them).
Just remember, you saw it here first, folks!
Per David Price, "March 22, 1945 ... a candid photo taken at MGM while Judy was filming THE HARVEY GIRLS ... pictured here with her secretary, Evelyn Powers.
This photograph was used to illustrate an article about Mrs. Powers that appeared in the August, 1945, issue of Motion Picture Magazine."
Monday, March 21, 2011
Per David Price, "March 21, 1965 ... publicity photo released to advertise the beginning of production on a film about Jean Harlow being produced in "Electronovision" and starring Carol Lynley as Harlow. Judy was to have played the part of Mama Jean.
Just home from Florida [where she had fulfilled a successful engagement at the Fontainebleau], Judy was met at the airport in Los Angeles and [with Lorna and Joe in tow] was whisked off to the studio for this photo-op with fellow actor Barry Sullivan. This was a quickie production being rushed to the cameras in an effort to have a release ahead of a bigger production by Joseph E. Levine being based on the currently popular Irving Shulman HARLOW biography. Carroll Baker was cast as Jean in this film, with Angela Lansbury as her mother.
Few details are known about what actually happened [the incident is not covered at all in many of the books about Judy] but news reports at the time had Judy withdrawing from the cast just the day after this photo was taken. Eleanor Parker was signed for the role but also withdrew ... it was finally played by Ginger Rogers.
The Lynley version faded away as quickly as it was made ... the Baker one had much wider play and is still available for your NetFlix queue."
Sunday, March 20, 2011
Per David Price,
"March 20, 1958 ... opening night at the Town & Country Club in Brooklyn, NY. The engagement opened to critical acclaim and was to have lasted three and a half weeks ... but ended during her performance on March 30th, following an altercation with the club's owner, Ben Masik.
This happened not long after ending a three-week engagement at the Flamingo in Las Vegas the end of the previous December ... followed by a bad stretch with Sid and talk of divorce ... seems to have been a bad period for Miss G all around.
An ad for the Brooklyn club engagement is also attached."
Saturday, March 19, 2011
Despite being in failing health, on this day in herstory Judy Garland performed a well received concert in Stockholm, Sweden. She is seen here backstage after the show with opening act Johnnie Ray.
Friday, March 18, 2011
Per David Price, "March 18, 1969 ... meeting the press in the Copenhagen Airport, en route to Stockholm to begin her Scandinavian concert tour with Johnny Ray. Mickey and Judy changed planes in Copenhagen, meeting the press in the airports in both cities."
Thursday, March 17, 2011
On This day in herstory found Judy rollerskating with Bud White at the Hollywood Rollerdome. This image comes from the files of Photoplay magazine.
the real THE JUDY GARLAND EXPERIENCE
A FEW LINKS
- ► 2013 (108)
- ► 2012 (290)
- On This Day In Herstory (March 31, 1960)
- More Assorted Images From Stefano
- On This Day In Herstory (March 30, 1951)
- The First Sitting
- On This Day In Herstory (March 29, 1944)
- On This Day In Herstory (March 28, 1941)
- On This Day In Herstory (March 27, 1955)
- This Week's Homepage At The Yahoo Group
- On This Day In Herstory (March 26, 1956)
- Another Great Photo From March 25, 1969
- On This Day In Herstory (March 25, 1969)
- On This Day In Herstory (March 24, 1953)
- Pretty As A Picture
- Elizabeth Taylor 1932-2011
- On This Day In Herstory (March 23, 1937)
- JUDY GARLAND AND LANA TURNER 1952
- ANNIE GET YOUR GUN SOUNDTRACK DISC
- Judy And Johnnie Ray 1969
- Judy And Mark Herron
- Judy And Liza 1964
- On This Day In Herstory (March 22, 1945)
- THE JUDY GARLAND EXPERIENCE
- JUDY AND LIZA 1951
- JUDY AND LIZA 1946
- On This Day In Herstory (March 21, 1965)
- Little Nellie Kelly
- On This Day In Herstory (March 20, 1958)
- Early MGM Studio Portraits
- The Men In Her Life (a few of the Garland co-stars)
- On This Day In Herstory (March 19, 1969)
- The Judy Garland Rose
- On This Day In Herstory (March 18, 1969)
- Collected Photos
- On This Day In Herstory (March 17, 1939)
- London Calling
- On This Day In Herstory (March 16, 1961)
- Judy And Liza, 1963
- Vintage Ads
- On This Day In Herstory (March 15, 1969)
- Portrait Of An MGM Star
- The Men That Got Away
- On This Day In Herstory (March 14, 1958)
- JUDY GARLAND'S ORDEAL
- COMING SOON! Judy Garland's Ordeal!
- On This Day In Herstory (March 13, 1964).
- A Lonely Soldier Meets A Girl
- On This Day In Herstory (March 12, 1960)
- The Harvey Girls Trade Ad
- Judy And Mickey Meet The Navy Bigwigs
- The Woman In The Mirror
- Memories Of 1962
- HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LIZA!
- Hugh Martin 1914-2011
- On This Day In Herstory (March 11, 1968)
- On This Day In Herstory (March 10, 1963)
- On This Day In Herstory (March 9, 1961)
- On This Day In Herstory (March 8, 1969)
- New Programing At The Yahoo Group
- On This Day In Herstory (March 7, 1940)
- And The Nominee Is....
- Maternal Matters
- JUDY MEETS HER FANS
- JUDY AT THE HOLLYWOOD BOWL 1946 & 1961
- Carnegie Hall Ephemera / Celebrating the 50th Anni...
- On This Day In Herstory (March 6, 1963)
- Judy's War Stamp Corsage
- Two Photos With Nothing In Common
- Friar Judy
- Judy Garland with Huntington Hartford and Helen Hayes
- On This Day In Herstory (March 5, 1962)
- Time To Renew Your Membership In The International...
- On This Day In Herstory (March 4, 1963)
- Secret Corners
- On This Day In Herstory (March 3, 1967)
- On This Day In Herstory (March 2, 1967)
- All In The Family
- On This Day In Herstory (March 1, 1946)
- ▼ March (79)
- ► 2010 (199)
- ► 2009 (157)